A trail mix may be one of the easiest snacks to throw together, and the most versatile! We love that we can easily whip up a heart and vein-healthy treat to take the place of unhealthy high-fat and high-sugar snacks we are prone to grabbing. Plus, it’s super filling!
This recipe uses nutty superfoods including almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds, plus a tart and sweet blend from dried cranberries and dark chocolate chunks. However, you can use any chocolate or dried fruits you wish.
Health Benefits of Nuts and Seeds
Nuts and seeds are among nature’s most powerful superfoods. That’s because of the incredible sources of healthy fats and omegas. Here’s a snapshot:
- Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats, protein, fiber, magnesium, and manganese. It also contains antioxidants which could potentially hep with the inflammation that comes with vein disease.
- Cashews are rich in healthy fats, protein, and polyphenols, which can also help reduce inflammation.
- Pumpkin seeds are packed with antioxidants, but the magnesium content is where it’s at. Magnesium can help control blood pressure and even prevent heart disease.
- Sunflower seeds are more than a baseball game staple! They’re great at reducing inflammation thanks to the vitamin E, and contain healthy fats that can help control blood pressure.
Remember, this is only one way of making a trail mix, so have fun with it by substituting your favorite nuts and dried fruits!
Heart-Healthy Trail Mix
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/8 cup dried cranberries
- 1/8 cup dark chocolate chunks
- In a mixing bowl add nuts, seeds, cranberries, and chocolate chunks. Stir to combine.
- Add mixture to a sealed container or zip-top bag. Can be stored in the pantry, countertop, or fridge for up to one week.